Name: Kristy Comer
Phone: (910)428-3278Welcome Parents/Guardians,I am so proud to have your child in my class this year. We are going to have a busy, yet fulfilling year. As you know, sixth graders are required to take and pass the Reading and Math EOG, as well as take part in numerous writing prompts and MLAs for Science and Social Studies. Therefore, it is important we work together to ensure your child does his/her very best all year and is in class everyday on time. With each seven tardies, your child will be required to spend an hour after school.Schedule:
- homeroom: 7:30-7:50 (Breakfast) If your child was absent the day before or changes their mind and wish to eat, please have them tell me so he/she won't spend the day hungry. Lockers and restrooms are to be taken care of before entering homeroom.
- TAG 7:50-8:15 (Teacher Advisory Groups) We talk about respect and empathy for others; setting goals and how to reach them.
- Core 1: 8:15-9:35
- Core 2: 9:35-10:50
- Lockers 10:50-10:55
- Flex 10:55-11:30 (This use to be called Intervention - It could change every 9 weeks from math to English or vis versa or to different teachers. We work on differnt concepts the students had a difficult time with or strategies.)
- Core 3 11:30-12:45
- Lunch 12:45-1:05
- Lockers 1:30-1:35 (Math activities or some other activity)
- Exploratory Classes: 1:35-2:45 (These change every twelve weeks) Classes are: Band, Computer, Life Skills, and Art, CTE classes. *They must attend PE everyday.
- (End of School Day) *Car riders are picked up around back. If you wish your child to go home differently, please provide a note.
*Please make no change in the way your child goes home after 2:00.Due to not having a math textbook, your child is creating an Interactive Notebook. Please ask your student about this book and review it with them nightly. Anything we are going over in class is explained in the notebook. It is to go home with them every night to study and use and then brought back to school everyday. They will receive silent lunch for not having it everyday.We discussed how there is so much to learn this year and that we cannot remember it all at one time, so I encourage them to study three nights worth every night. They also will be taking two column notes, known as Cornell Notes, to use as a study guide. They can be found behind the math tab in their three ring binder.Know that homework is given on a regular basis in math, including Fridays. It is a practice for what we learned in class that day, so it is a nessecity. However, though everything will be looked over for comprehension and completion, not all of it will receive a grade. By completing all work, I will know where to help your child (so all work must be shown) and it will let me know where I need to go next.* If your child should be absent from school, please send a brief note on the reason for the absentee(This is a required document).If you wish to speak with me by phone or in person during the school day, please feel free to do so between *1:30-2:45. This is my planning time. Or after school from 3:00 - 4:00.