Montgomery County Early College
Flex Campus Contract
What is Flex Campus?
MCEC provides classroom space and resources for students to be on campus all day; however, the Flex Campus Contract permits junior/senior MCEC students 16 years of age or older to leave campus when they do not have a scheduled class or another assigned school obligation. Based on programming and class schedules, Flex Campus may not always be available. Flex campus is a privilege, not a right, which can be revoked at any time. This policy will begin on Monday, August **, 2018. Permission Slips will be available on that date at the front desk
Who has access to Flex Campus privileges?
MCEC juniors and seniors who are at least 16 years of age in good standing both academically and behaviorally have flex campus privileges. A signed parent permission form must be on file at the front reception desk. It should be noted that students can have their privileges revoked at any time.
What is the process for leaving campus for students who are eligible?
- A signed permission slip must be verified and on file with the front desk and students must have completed and turned in the MCEC parking permit contract.
- Students must attend one seminar class daily, complete weekly assignments, and verify academic progress.
- The student must sign out and sign in at the front reception desk.
- The student's attendance, discipline, and grades will be checked weekly by their seminar teacher. The student must be given the ‘All Clear’ by front reception in order to leave.
- Reviews of each eligible student will be conducted on a weekly basis.
- Any attendance or tardy issues will be dealt with under MCEC’s Attendance Policy and open campus privileges will be revoked.
Under what circumstances will a student lose the privilege to leave the campus during an open period or lunch?
Students may lose open campus privileges because of disciplinary, attendance, or academic infractions at the discretion of the administration. -Noted infractions include but are not limited to the following:
- Not signing out or back in at the Front Reception Desk
- Leaving with active Disciplinary Issues
- Leaving while not in good academic standing (below a C)
- Leaving without a Signed Waiver on file
- Leaving with excessive absences (no more than 2 absences in a college class or 5 absences in a high school class per semester)
- Driving other students without permission.
What happens if a student does not arrive to campus on time and is late for a class or skips a class entirely?
It is considered an unexcused tardy or unexcused absence. Students are responsible for missed work and course credit may be in jeopardy. In addition, flex campus privileges will be revoked.
When a student has an open seminar period and does not have an assigned class, where can he/she go to remain on campus?
Students will report to the seminar classroom and may be granted permission to go to the cafeteria, student lounge, and/or library.
What are some other considerations of Flex Campus?
MCEC students are a representation of the school as a whole. Revocation of flex campus privileges will also occur if the student behaves in a way off campus that reflects poorly on the school community.