Board Notes/Agenda from
Monday, December 6, 2010
Board of Education Meeting
· Call to Order and Adoption of Agenda – Chairman Steve DeBerry
· Opening Devotional
· Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America
o EMHS Students
§ Nikki Hunsucker
§ Kedric Marshall
· Swearing In of Newly Elected and Re-elected Montgomery County Board of Education Members – Montgomery County Clerk of Superior Court, Wayne Wooten
o Tommy Blake
o Bryan Dozier
o Jesse Hill
o Sandra Miller
· Election of Montgomery County Board of Education Officers for Year Ending December, 2011 – Mr. Steve DeBerry was re-elected as Board Chair and Mr. Tommy Blake was elected as the Vice-Chair of the Board.
· Montgomery County Schools Community Partnership Award
o Myron and Barbara Dice, Co-Pastors, Sandhills Circuit United Methodist Church
· East Montgomery High School Band Competition, 3rd Place Overall, 2nd Place for Music and the Recipient of the “Espirt de Corps” Award
o Marvis Rorie, Director and Students; Amber Byrd, Nikki Hunsucker, Kedric Marshall, LuAnn Yancey
· Montgomery County Schools’ 2010-2011 Principal of the Year
· Montgomery County Schools’ 2010-2011 EC Teacher of Excellence
o Nita Thompson, Green Ridge Elementary School
o Debra Knowles, West Middle School
o Angie Tofflemeyer, West Middle School
o Teresa Simmons, Candor Elementary School
· Montgomery County Board of Education Board Members
CONSENT AGENDA – The Board approved the consent agenda.
- Board Minutes: November 1, 2010 Regular Meeting – (Enclosure) – Carol Hardee
- Personnel and Auxiliary Reports – Kevin Lancaster
- Budget Amendments 1, 2, 3, and 4 – (Enclosure) – Kathy Johnson
- 2010-2011 Auditing Contract – (Enclosure) – Kathy Johnson
I. NC Public Schools Will Produce Globally Competitive Students
- Curriculum Focus – East Montgomery High School - Principal, Donna Kennedy
- Foundations for Academic Success – (Enclosure)
- Todd Beane, Jill Blake, Mary Gilman, Carol Parsons, Amy B. Reynolds
- Professional Learning Communities Update – (Enclosure) - Dale Ellis
- Dr. Ellis gave an update on the professional learning communities process, including feedback from principals’ level meeting and Page Street meeting.
- Middle School 3-D System – Video Game Creation – Graham Fox
- Graham Fox and several middle school students gave a presentation and demonstrated 3-D Technology.
II. NC Public Schools Will Be Led by 21st Century Professionals
- 2010-2011 Montgomery County Schools Calendar – Dale Ellis (Enclosure 6) - The Board voted to change the school calendar to allow schools to dismiss two hours early on Friday, December 17.
III. NC Public School Students Will Be Healthy and Responsible
- Montgomery County Schools Universal Breakfast Pilot Program – Frank Fiorella - (Enclosure) – Frank Fiorella discussed the benefits of providing free breakfast to all students.
IV. Leadership Will Guide Innovation in NC Public Schools
V. NC Public Schools Will be Governed and Supported by 21st Century Systems
· Policy and Regulations - (Enclosure) – Kevin Lancaster Action Item – Approved.
o Policy Code 7430 - Substitute Teachers
· Policy and Regulations – (Enclosure) – Kevin Lancaster First Reading
o Policy Code 1310/4002 Parental Involvement
o Policy Code 1510/4200/7270 School Safety
o Policy Code 2121 Board Member Conflict of Interest
o Policy Code 3101 Concurrent Enrollment and Other Curriculum Expansions
o Policy Code 3320 School Trips
o Policy Code 3430 School Improvement Plan
o Policy Code 3610 Counseling Program
o Policy Code 4100 Age Requirements for Initial Entry
o Policy Code 4335 Criminal Behavior
o Policy Code 4400 Attendance
o Policy Code 5005 DELETE District Advisory Committees
o Policy Code 5027/7275 Weapons and Explosives Prohibited
o Policy Code 5070 Public Records
o Policy Code 6340 Transportation Service/Vehicle
o Policy Code 6401 Ethics and the Purchasing Function
o Policy Code 7410 Career Status
o Policy Code 7510 Leave of Absence
o Policy Code 7730 Employee Conflict of Interest
o Policy Code 7810 Evaluation of Licensed Employees
o Policy Code 7820 Personnel Files
VI. Superintendent’s Remarks
· Dale Ellis (Enclosure)
· Dropouts—First 60 days – 7 dropouts, 12 this time last year. Staff members are doing a great job! Graduation coaches through CIS have helped.
· Not so good news – NC 42nd in nation on national level for educational funding. Need to continue to stress to state to fund schools first!
closed session for the purpose of DISCUSSING PERSONNEL [NC GENERAL STATUTE 143-318.11(a)(6)] and PROPERTY [NC GENERAL STATUTE 143-318.11(a)(5)].
ADJOURNMENT – Chairman DeBerry
- Monday, January 10, 2011, 6:30 p.m.
- December 9, 2010, 12:00 p.m. MCBE Visit to East Montgomery High School