Board Notes/Agenda from
Monday, November 1, 2010
Board of Education Meeting
- Call to Order and Adoption of Agenda – Chairman Steve DeBerry
- Opening Devotional
- Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America
- Troy Elementary Students
- Auston Britt
- Olivia Goodwin
PUBLIC COMMENT PERIOD
- Resolution of Esteem for Thomas Bickett Lilly, Jr. - (Enclosure)
- Nan Lilly Mulcare, Daughter of Thomas Bickett Lilly, Jr.
- American Education Week Proclamation, November 14-20, 2010 – (Enclosure)
- Community Partnership Award – Don Piehl
- The Board recognized Don Piehl for his continual support of Montgomery County Schools. Most recently, Don led a group of volunteers that organized the first ever celebrity golf tournament to support Communities in Schools of Montgomery County. With his efforts, along with many other volunteers, over $24,000 was raised to support the students in our school system. It is commendable for a local volunteer to put in so many hours of his own time to support such a worthy cause.
- National Communities in Schools Award-Unsung Hero – Louis DesChamps
- The Board recognized Louis DesChamps, Site Coordinator for Communities In Schools of Montgomery County, who was recognized for his commitment and passion on Thursday, Sept. 23 on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C. Louis was one of five CIS Site Coordinators nationwide selected to receive the CIS 2010 Unsung Hero Award.
- Montgomery County Board of Education Member – Almetta Armstrong
- The Board recognized Almetta Armstrong, who is retiring from the Board, for 18 years of loyal service to Montgomery County Schools.
CONSENT AGENDA - The Board approved the consent agenda.
- Board Minutes: October 4, 2010 Regular Meeting – (Enclosure)
- Personnel and Auxiliary Reports – Kevin Lancaster
I. NC Public Schools Will Produce Globally Competitive Students
- Curriculum Focus – Reading In Motion – Beth Lancaster and Cynthia Morgan from Troy Elementary presented the Reading in Motion program that has been implemented at their school.
- Montgomery Learning Academy 2010-2011 ABC Goals – (Enclosure) – The Board approved the goals presented by Principal John Ward for Montgomery Learning Academy.
- Race to the Top Proposal– Dale Ellis Action Item – The Board approved the Race to the Top Proposal presented by Dr. Ellis.
II. NC Public Schools Will Be Led by 21st Century Professionals
III. NC Public School Students Will Be Healthy and Responsible
IV. Leadership Will Guide Innovation in NC Public Schools
- Letter to Legislative Delegation – Dr. Ellis presented a copy of the letter to the Board that will be sent to legislators, addressing the current budget situation.
- Special Report
V. NC Public Schools Will be Governed and Supported by 21st Century Systems
- 2009-2010 Montgomery County Schools Audit Report - Dale Smith, with Anderson, Smith, and Wike, presented the audit report to the Board. Everything was in order and he applauded Kathy Johnson and her staff for a job well done.
- Policy and Regulations - (Enclosure) – Kevin Lancaster Action Item – The Board approved the follow policies:
- Policy Code 1610/7800 - Professional Development and Assistance
- Policy Code 3420 - Student Progression and Placement
- Policy Code 3460 - Graduation Requirements
- Policy Code 3470/4305 - Alternative Learning Programs/Schools
- Policy Code 4130-R - Discretionary Admission (Assignment and Transfer of Students)
- Policy Code 5030 - Community Use of Facilities
- Policy Code 7811 - Action Plans for Licensed Employees
- Policy Code 7900 - Resignation
- Policy and Regulations - (Enclosure) – Kevin Lancaster First Reading
- Policy Code 7430 - Substitute Teachers
- Guardian Program – (Enclosure 8) – Kevin Lancaster Action Item – The Board approved the Guardian Program,
- The program helps fulfill the requirement for staff members who are charged with any offense to make the human resources department aware of the charge.
- Free service.
- Allows MCS to keep track of any employee that is charged with a crime anywhere in the United States.
- A way to keep track of offenses and keep our students safe.
VI. Superintendent's Remarks
- Dale Ellis – During his superintendent’s comments, Dr. Ellis reviewed feedback received from recent Community Area Advisory meetings and Student Advisory Council.
CLOSED SESSION FOR THE PURPOSE OF DISCUSSING PERSONNEL [NC GENERAL STATUTE 143-318.11(a)(6)].
ADJOURNMENT – Chairman DeBerry
- Monday, December 6, 2010, 6:30 p.m.
- November 4, 2010, 12:00 noon - MCBOE Visit to Troy Elementary
- November 14, 15, 16, 2010 - NCSBA Annual State Conference
- December 9, 2010, 12:00 noon - MCBOE Visit to East Montgomery High School