MONTGOMERY COUNTY BOARD OF EDUCATION
September 8, 2014
The Montgomery County Board of Education convened in its regular monthly meeting on Monday, September 8, 2014, at 6:30 p.m. Board members present were as follows:
Steven W. DeBerry, Chair
Tommy Blake, Vice Chair
Shirley ThreadgillAnn Long
Chairman DeBerry called the meeting to order and moved to adopt the agenda as shown and hold the consent agenda until closed session. With a motion by Ann Long and a second from Bryan Dozier, the agenda was adopted with unanimous approval from the board.
Chairman DeBerry opened the meeting with a devotional by reading James 2:26: “For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.” He followed with a story about Thomas Edison who had 1000 patents to his credit, including the phonograph, an invention started by someone else. Mr. Edison often proved that you don’t need to be the originator of an idea. Sometimes just improving on an idea makes you successful.
The Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America was led by Candor Elementary students Adrian Valdovinos, Diana Munoz, Tyrese Scott and Madeline Lassiter.
Dr. Ellis presented Mary Chesson, interim President at Montgomery Community College, with a Partnership Certificate. MCC was the venue of this year’s Back to School Rally held August 16th. Dr. Ellis and Ms. Chesson agreed they are both proud of the partnership between the schools and their ability to work together for the community.
Dr. Ellis and Candor Elementary principal, Donnie Lynthacum, presented employees Julie Estes, Crystal Thomas and Teresa Green with certificates. Ms. Estes was recognized for participating in the Michelson Exxon Mobile Academy. She has been with Candor for two years and always looks for ways to improve her classroom. Mrs. Thomas was awarded Certified Employee of the Month and Teresa Green Classified Employee of the Month. Mr. Lynthacum had high praise for all three women and stated Candor Elementary was lucky to have them.
Next, Superintendent Ellis discussed the 2017 Strategic Plan. By looking at the growth after three years, are the goals working or are there others that need to be focused on? There is definite growth at the schools due to teachers learning the standards and staff development. Areas of improvement include: continuing to identify achievement gaps and finding ways to close them, lowering the teacher attendance rate, keeping suspension rates down by sending students to the Learning Academy instead of home, lowering the pregnancy rate by adding grants to secure external funding, maintaining adequate facilities and upgrading technology resources. Dr. Ellis also displayed the new logo showing the different stages of learning, commenting that the logo includes blue and red and should satisfy both sides of the county. Mrs. Long stated that she loved the logo and moved to approve the logo and strategic plan goals for 2017. Mrs. Miller seconded and the board unanimously approved the motion.
Donnie Lynthacum, Principal at Candor Elementary presented a power point on their afterschool program “Reading Counts”. The program started two years ago. Parents and staff were concerned about students’ loss of reading skills over the summer. A plan was set in place to provide the school media center to students during the summer to help build on reading skills for the next school year. Parents and staff members volunteered their time to read with students and monitor their progress, giving them a head start on their goals for the upcoming school year. The program ran Monday through Thursday from 1:00 to 4:00 pm., starting the last week of June and ending the second week of August. An average of 40 kids attending each day with no age limit. Mr. Lynthacum stated that the program was a huge success and thanked everyone involved.
Dr. Lancaster presented Policy Code 3460 Graduation Requirements and Policy Code 3460R Differentiated Diploma Pathway Policy and Process for first reading.
In his closing remarks, Superintendent Ellis congratulated the schools on a smooth opening. He stated the MCS staff does a tremendous job and are to be commended. Before closing, Jesse Hill asked to observe a moment of silence for Hubert Lindsey, a beloved member of the EMHS staff who passed away last week. Mr. Lindsey will be remembered with a Resolution of Esteem at the October board meeting.
Chairman DeBerry then asked for a motion to adjourn and move into closed session. With a motion from Bryan Dozier, along with a second from Jesse Hill, the board unanimously approved going into closed session to discuss personnel.
During closed session, the Board approved the following consent agenda items with a motion by Tommy Blake and a second from Shirley Threadgill. The Board unanimously approved the motion.
1. Minutes from the Board Meetings dated August 4, 2014 and August 14th.
2. Personnel and Auxillary Reports as follows:a. Upon the recommendation of the principal, approval of the following additions to the substitute teacher list:
Noncertified Recommended By Record Check
1) Brittany Wall Donna Kennedy Yes
2) Natasha Torrence Beth Lancaster Yes
3) Yana Stevenson Kevin Lancaster Yes
4) Carrie Watkins Kevin Lancaster Yes
5) Julia Adams Joan Frye Yes
6) Mary Hill Donnie Lynthacum Yes
7) Ellen Roose Joan Frye Yesb. Superintendent reports the acceptance of the following resignations/retirements:
Resignation/Retirement School/Assignment Effective Date
1) Heather Nance Page Street Elementary 08/14/2014
Resignation Elementary Teacher
2) Anthony Maynor Candor Elementary 07/31/2014
Resignation Part-time Custodian
3) Tamara Furr West Middle School 08/06/2014
Resignation EC Teacher
4) Virginia K. Williams West Montgomery High 09/12/2014
Resignation English Teacher
5) Natalie Mauldin Star Elementary School 09/01/2014
Retirement Elementary Teacher
6) Matt Smith East Middle School 09/26/2014
Resignation ESL Teacher
7) Angela Lester Green Ridge Elem. 08/24/2014
Resignation Child Nutrition Asst. Mgr.
8) Kathy Johnson Central Office 10/01/2014
Retirement Chief Financial Officer9) Derrick Drake West Montgomery High 09/03/2014
Resignation Coach/PT Custodian
c. Upon recommendation, approval of the following probationary contracts for the 2014-2015 school year as provided by General Statute 115C-325:
Effective Date Assignment Check Replacing
1) Jaclyn Kennedy Green Ridge Elementary Yes Jamie Johnson
08/19/2014 Pre-K Teacher
2) Anita Mashburn Green Ridge Elementary Yes Katie Tucker
08/19/2014 Guidance3) Anissa Gillis Mt. Gilead Elementary Yes Natasha Torrence
08/19/2014 4th Grade Teacher4) Casey Galloway East/West Montgomery Yes Completed required Coursework
08/19/2014 Firefighter Inst.5) Kendall Greene East Montgomery High Yes P/T to F/T Teacher
08/19/2014 Dance Inst.6) Maria Lemus Green Ridge Elementary Yes Nancy Williams
08/19/2014 EC Teacher
7) Holly Caudle Candor Elementary Yes
08/19/2014 4th Grade Teacher8) Candace Brasington West Middle School Yes Tamara Brewington
08/19/2014 ESL Teacher
9) Shelby Morris Star Elementary Yes Sharon Romero
08/20/2014 2nd Grade Teacher10) Opal Archie Green Ridge Elementary Yes Dee Dee Miller
08/19/2014 EC Teacher
11) Ben Carr West Middle School Yes Ben Grindstaff
08/19/2014 Social Studies Teacher12) Johni Lilly East Middle School Yes Rebecca Micco
08/19/2014 7th Grade ELA Teacher13) Amanda Terry East Middle School Yes Lauren Peter
08/19/2014 7th Grade EC Teacherd. Upon recommendation of the superintendent, approval of recommendation for employment of the following non-certified personnel:
Employee/ School/ RecordEffective Date Assignment Check Replacing
1) Angela Lester Green Ridge Elementary Yes Barbara Brower
08/11/2014 Child Nutrition Asst. Mgr.
2) Shelia Lassiter County Office Yes Joyce McIntyre
08/19/2014 Child Nutrition Sub
3) Janice Williamson County Office Yes Genice Greene
08/19/2014 Child Nutrition Sub
4) Melvin Streeter Candor Elementary Yes Anthony Maynor
08/20/2014 Part-time custodiane. Report of the following transfers:
Effective Date From To Replacing
1) Genice Greene Star Elementary Star Elementary Betty Batten
08/19/2014 Child Nutrition Sub Child Nutrition P/T
2) Barbara Brower Green Ridge Elementary Candor Elementary Vancy LeGrande
08/19/2014 Child Nutrition Asst. Mgr. Child Nutrition Asst.
3) Kristy Holder East Middle School Candor Elementary Darlene Smith
08/19/2014 Child Nutrition Asst. Child Nutrition Asst.
4) Chris Jonassen West Middle School Troy Elementary Angie Tofflemeyer08/14/2014 Administrative Intern Inst. Facilitator
5) Linda Sanders East Montgomery High West Middle
08/19/2014 Teacher Asst. Teacher Asst.
6) Nancy Britton Troy Elementary West Middle
08/19/2014 Teacher Asst. Teacher Asst.
7) Angela Everett Troy Elementary East Montgomery High
08/19/2014 Teacher Asst. Teacher Asst.8) Vance Thomas Troy Elementary County Office Lizzie Garner
08/18/2014 Principal Pre-K Coordinator/After School Coordinator
9) Tina Woody Troy Elementary Troy Elementary Charlotte Burris
08/19/2014 Teacher Asst. Office Support
10) Delores Mauldin Central Office Central Office Alicia Blalock
07/10/2014 Payroll/Benefits Rep. Office Support
f. Superintendent reports termination of employee:
Employee School Assignment Effective Date
1) Tamara Brewington West Middle/West High August 6, 2014
g. Upon recommendation, approval of the following administrative contracts:
· Angie Tofflemeyer, Interim Principal, Troy Elementary School, annual twelve-month term, commencing August 18, 2014 and ending June 30, 2016.
· Amy Reynolds, Assistant Principal, Montgomery Learning Academy, annual eleven month term, commencing August 20, 2014 and ending June 30, 2016.
h. Upon recommendation of the superintendent, approval of recommendation for employment of the following bus driver/sub drivers for the 2014-2015 school year that are not dual employees:
Charlene Kelly Nellie McCready Stacy Byerly
i. Upon recommendation, approval of the following coaches for the fall 2014 sports season:
West Montgomery High School
Nick Eddins Football
Dustin Braddock Football
Ken Neal Football
Daniel Coggins Football
Eddie Swan Football
Chris Brown Football
Terry Callicutt Football
Shawn Clausell Football
Ralph Thompson Soccer
Angel Thompson Soccer
Earle Poole Cross Country
Katie Kimrey Cross County
Henry Panzer Volleyball
Stephanie Panzer Volleyball
Vicki Panzer Volleyball
Nick Eddins Athletic Director
Seth Dunlap Athletic Director
East Montgomery High School
Mark Miller Athletic Director
Chris Hadlock Athletic Director/Soccer
Mike Barrington Athletic Trainer
Meredith Johnson Athletic Trainer
Scott Blue Field Maintenance/Soccer
Cindy Martin Cheerleading
Sean Hassell Cross Country
Mishele Hare Cross Country
Philip Collett Football/Weight Room
Ray Massey JV Football
Ray Deaton Football
Barry Jackson Football
Mike Loutzenheiser Football
Jerry Spencer Football
John Weiss Football
Terry Appen Tennis
Toni Kellis Tennis
Leslie Shoffner Volleyball
Mike Stancil Volleyball
West Middle School
Jerimy Rinker Football/Athletic Director
Daniel Jones Football
Mike West Football
Shawn Clausell Football
Jessica Grooms Volleyball
Miranda Duell Volleyball
Caleb Rushing Cross Country
Suzannah Laucher Cross Country
Stacey Corne Cheerleading
East Middle School
Reggie Jackson Football
Nathan McCallum Football
Kirk Watts First Responder
Kesha Collins Volleyball
Lauren Peter VolleyballUpon recommendation approval of the following student transfer is requested.Montgomery County Schools to Stanly County Schools
Nicholas H. IrvinUpon recommendation approval of the following overnight is requested.
September 21-23, 2014 – West Montgomery High SkillsUSA to Skills USA Leadership Workshop, Camp Dixie, Fayetteville, NC
April 9-11, 2015 – East Montgomery High School and West Montgomery High School Skills USA to Skills USA State Conference, Greensboro, NC
Upon recommendation approval of the contract with “MyTown Originals”/Ohiopyle Prints, Inc. for East Montgomery High School and West Montgomery High School is requested.
1. School Sprit Wear by Ohiopyle Prints;
2. Budget Resolution:3. Field trip request for WMHS JROTC.After closed session, Chairman DeBerry asked for a motion to adjourn. With a motion by Sandra Miller and a second from Jesse Hill, the meeting was duly adjourned.
The next regular meeting will be held on Monday, October 6, 2014.
Steven W. DeBerry, Chairman
Dale Ellis, Ed. D., Secretary