1. AVID student selection focuses on students with academic potential, who would benefit from AVID support to improve their academic record and being college preparation.
2. AVID program participants, both students and staff, choose to participate.
3. The school must be committed to full implementation of the AVID program, with the AVID year-long elective class available within the regular academic school day.
4. AVID students are enrolled in a rigorous course of study that will enable them to meet requirements for university enrollment.
5. Instructional strategies are taught in the AVID Elective class to develop students' organizational skills that promote academic self-management.
6. A strong, relevant writing and reading curriculum provides a basis for instruction in the AVID Elective class.
7. Inquiry and collaboration are used as a basis for instruction in the AVID Elective class and to promote critical thinking.
8. A sufficient number of tutors are available in the AVID class to facilitate student access to rigorous curriculum. Tutors must be trained to implement the methodologies used in AVID.
9. AVID program implementation and student progress are monitored through the AVID Data System, and results are analyzed to ensure success.
10. The school or district has identified resources for program costs, has agreed to implement AVID Program Implementation Essentials and to participate in AVID Certification. It has committed to ongoing participation in AVID staff development.
11. An active interdisciplinary site team collaborates on issues of students’ access to and success in rigorous college preparatory courses.
This year, East Middle School has one AVID elective class at sixth grade, one AVID elective class at seventh grade, and one AVID elective class at eighth grade.
If you are interested in learning more about the AVID elective class, please contact the AVID Coordinator, Jeanne Black, at 428.3278 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also contact any of the AVID elective teachers or the counselors.