Photos taken from www.townofbiscoe.com
History of Biscoe
The town of Biscoe was originally known as Filo. The town grew up around the Page Lumber Company which was owned and operated by the Page Family. The family shipped lumber to Philadelphia on it’s railroad, the Aberdeen and Asheboro Railroad. The recipient of the lumber was Major Henry Biscoe. The town of Filo changed its name to Biscoe to honor Major Henry Biscoe in 1895. Biscoe incorporated in 1901. Several years later this one mile square town was the first town in North Carolina to charter a high school. The charter papers were filed in 1906 and the auditorium and school were constructed in 1908.
(click here for more information about Biscoe)
History of East Montgomery High School
East Montgomery High School is located on 220 Alternate Highway South between Biscoe and Candor, North Carolina at 157 Eagle Lane. EMHS is situated on approximately 118.6 acres purchased from the BB Monroe, McCaskill, and Morris-Johnson properties. Forty of those acres served as a forestry lab and 6 acres were designed as an outdoor ecological site with streams and ponds for biological and ecological surveys.
East Montgomery High School opened its doors to students in August of 1961. It was the consolidation of Biscoe High School, Candor High School, and Star High School. The school was built in 1961 and was designed by the architectural firm of Hayes, Howell, and Associates from Southern Pines, NC. The Mechanical Engineer was H.L. Buffaloe of Raleigh, NC. The construction firm who built the school was Anderson Construction from Dunn, NC.
The conslidation of the three east side high schools came under the leadership of Superintendent Sam H. Helton, Schoolboard Chair D.C. Ewing Jr. and Principal Raz Autry.
East Montgomery High School’s mascot is the Eagles and the colors are Columbia Blue and White. The fight song is War Eagles.