Name: Kristy Comer
Phone: (910)428-3278Welcome Parents/Guardians,I am so proud to have your child in my class this year. We are going to have a busy, yet fulfilling year. As you know, there will be an EOG test for math again this year.Please read over the procedures and schedule listed below in order to help your child have the best year they can possibly have.Learning Procedures
- Attendence will be taken daily.
- School starts at 7:50. (Please note that if they are late seven times, they will be marked as having been absent from school a total of one day).
- Please be sure to send a note with your child the day after their absence stating the reason for the absence (Your child will receive an unexcused absence if no note is sent).
- After three unexcused absences, a phone call/letter will be sent requesting a reason for the absences.
- Students must complete all assignments by the due date(Anything below a 60 may be redone and resubmitted for a higher grade).
- Grades will be taken from the assignments given in class and placed in PowerSchool every Monday by 9 a.m.
- If your child is absent, please have he/she to log into Comer's Goggle Classroom and complete the assignments on the day/s of the absences.
- Have your child check emails daily.
- Email teacher if have any questions or call the school.
- Homeroom: 7:30 - 7:50 (Free breakfast is provided)
- TAG 7:50 - 8:15 (Teacher Advisory Groups) We talk about respect and empathy for others; setting goals and how to reach them.
- Core 1: 8:15 - 9:30
- Activity time: 9:30 -10:00.
- Exploratory: 10:00 - 11:10 (These change every nine weeks)
- Flex/Remediation = 11:10 - 11:45
- Lunch 11:45 - 12:15 (Lunch is free this year. Snacks may be purchased)
- Core 2: 12:15 - 1:35
- Core 3: 1:35 - 2:50
My Class Norms:
- I believe in every one of my students. There is no such thing as a math brain or a math gene. I expect all of them to achieve at the highest level.
- I love mistakes. Every time a mistake is made, our brains grow.
- Failure and stuggle do not mean you cannot do math - those are the most important parts of math and learning.
- I do not value work that is done quickly. I value work that is down in depth with lots of thought(All thought process must be shown on paper).
- Due to not having a math textbook, your child is creating an Interactive Notebook. Please ask your student about this book and review it with them nightly. Anything we are going over in class is explained in the notebook. It is to be studied every night and used everyday to complete work assigned. It will be checked from time to time for a grade.
- (Silent lunch will also be given on days they do not have it with them)
- We discussed how there is so much to learn this year and that we cannot remember it all at one time, so I encourage them to study three nights worth every night. They also will be taking two column notes, known as Cornell Notes, to use as a study guide. They can be found behind the math tab in their three ring binder (Quizzes and tests will be given at the end of each unit and recorded in PowerSchool every Monday by 9 am as well as any other assignments).
- Know that homework is given on a regular basis in math, including Fridays. It is a practice for what we learned in class that day, so it is a nessecity. However, though everything will be looked over for comprehension and completion, not all of it will receive a grade. By completing all work, I will know where to help your child (so all work must be shown and worked out-no calculators unless instructed to do so by teacher) and it will let me know where I need to go next.